When you arrive you need to:-
  • Contact the EAUC – let us know you have arrived in Australia.
  • Let your university international unit know you are in Australia already.
  • Attend your Enrolment Session.
  • Attend the University Orientation.
  • Explore and familiarise yourself with your campus.
  • Get to know the area where you will live, and how to get to the campus and shops.
  • Open a bank account, or if you opened one when overseas, take your passport into the bank to withdraw funds.
  • Contact your university residential service if you are having difficulties finding long-term accommodation.

Airport Pick-up

Unless you are travelling with family or a friend, it is always good to have someone you know pick you up at the airport especially if you plan to arrive in Australia late at night, on the weekend or during a public holiday. They can bring or drive you to your hotel or accommodation and even take you to the bank. 

Remember to contact your family and friends to let them know you have arrived safely. Always have some Australian dollars ready so you can buy an Australian SIM card. There are a lot of mobile providers in Australia, but the EAUC utilizes Vodafone for the packages and deals.


  • The EAUC recommends that you arrive on a weekday. You can get things done quicker as the university and banks are only open from Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
  • Make sure that you have the contact details of the person picking you up ready and the accommodation information in-hand.



Students are solely responsible for the arrangement of their accommodation during their time in Australia. If you have not managed to secure permanent accommodation before your arrival, we strongly recommend you make arrangements to stay with a friend or book a hotel before hand.
Be mindful that the government will only allow you to stay up to 3 days in a hotel, so it is best to secure more permanent and suitable accomodation quickly. Having said this the High Commission of Brunei Darussalam will neither be responsible for the payment of rent nor negotiate housing agreement on behalf of students.
There are two different types of accommodation for students:
  • On-Campus Accommodation
    This type of accommodation is usually popular among students, as it is convenient and closest to the university. Students can apply for this type of accommodation when submitting their entry application forms to their universities.  However, it is normally available on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis and the cost of rent can be more expensive than living off-campus.
  • Off-Campus Accommodation
    Universities may provide a list of any available accommodation outside the university campus and the cost of rent may vary depending on the location and type of property. However, universities do not usually evaluate the accommodation or negotiate with the owner/agent on a student’s behalf.

There are several sources to assist students in finding accommodation, including:
  • listings at the Housing Office at Student Services and the Housing Office website;
  • community and local newspapers under the rental listings;
  • advertisements placed on notice boards around campus;
  • real estate agents;
  • internet resources, such as;
  • other/senior students who are familiar with the area.
In your quest for suitable accomodation do not be pressured into a hasty decision. Personally inspect and determine the quality, suitability and safety of the premises. Ask questions if you are not clear about the rental terms and the landlord’s expectations. You can also consult the landlord/estate agent/University Housing Officer for advice before making any commitments.  
Once a decision to rent is made, students will normally enter into a contract with the agent or landlord. Leasing duration is usually six months or more with tenants expected to pay rent at two or four week intervals.  Also expect to pay four (4) weeks’ advance rent and a ‘security bond’ payment equivalent to 4 weeks of rent. The security bond will be made and lodged with the relevant Office of Rental Bonds by the agent/landlord. Once the tenancy agreement ends and provided no damages has been made to the property, this money will be returned you.


    Before making a decision to rent, students may need to consideration the following questions.
  • How far is it from the campus?
  • Is it safe for me to walk to/from campus?
  • Do I need a room to myself or prefer to share?
  • Am I comfortable with my roommate(s)?
  • Distance from university campus.
  • Is it furnished or unfurnished?
  • Do I have to pay extra for the electricity, gas, and/or water?
  • Can I afford to pay the rent?
  • Am I paying directly to the landlord or to the agent?
  • What is the mode of payment - direct debit, BPay, cash or cheque?
  • Is the rental payment weekly, fortnightly or monthly?
  • Am I comfortable with the terms and conditions of the rental agreement?


Students are responsible for their own meals. It is advisable to learn some basic cooking skills before coming to Australia. Some find it a joy to cook with friends for others, or helping out in the kitchen if the are not good at cooking their own meals.

Overseas Health Cover

This is usually arranged between the university and the insurance provider. All international students must have Overseas Health Cover (OSHC). This facility is no longer available for government-sponsored students, and they have to pay for this themselves. The health insurance provider will provide you with a membership card or number.
On-Campus Medical Facilities
Universities provide facilities to students requiring medical care. It is advisable for students to visit the medical centre on campus which is open weekdays between 9 am to 5pm. As a broad principle, students should not have to pay extra to see the doctor. They will be required to pay for their own medicine.
If you feel sick or unwell anytime after 5pm or during the weekends, you can go to a government hospital hospital. You will need to bring and pres­ent your card on your arrival. You will not be charged. You can buy your prescribed medicine from the pharmacy.prescribed medicine from the pharmacy.
Also find out if there are Government locum after-hours clinics in your area, which you can make after-hours appointments at. Such services are for non-emergency cases and help you avoiding lengthy emergency room waits.
However if you decide to go to a private clinic, you will be required to pay a doctor’s fee. A percentage of this fee will be reimbursed to you if you submit a claim to OSHC. You require a receipt to do this, so ensure that you receive one in return for your payment.


  • Most OSHC plans do not cover ‘extras’ such as dental and optical services. The health insurer can add dental or optical cover at extra cost.
  • Pre-existing medical conditions are also not covered.
  • It is advisable to bring your medical history, chest and medical examination records from Brunei the first time you see a doctor in Australia.
  • If you have a medical condition get your Brunei doctor to write a letter explaining your medication condition and course of therapy.


Most student visas automatically comes with permission to work, but as a government-sponsored student you may also need permission from MOE. Students are reminded that they are sent here to study and working either on a part time or casual basis outside academic hours can be detrimental to your studies.


Please check your passport is valid for the whole duration of your studies in Australia. Should you passport expire during your time of study, the Student Attaché Unit recommends that you contact the Consular Section of the Brunei Darussalam High Commission in Canberra to find out how to go about renewing your passport. As a basic guideline, below are some of the documents that you will need when submitting an application for passport renewal:-
  • 4 passport-sized photos with a blue background
  • 2 copies of your old passport
  • 2 copies of your I.C.
  • 2 copies of your Birth Certificate
  • $50 cash (Brunei or Singapore dollars)
  • Letter of explanation addressed to the Department of Immigration in Brunei Darussalam
  • Self-addressed envelope (for the passport to be returned to your address).
This information is available at the High Commission’s website: For further clarification please contact [email protected]

Arrange Travel Insurance

travel insurance that provides 24/7 coverage while studying abroad. It does not cost much and gives you and your family back home peace of mind. Most of the time, the insurance company will allow someone else to renew the coverage for you.